The Center for Digital Humanities launched its inaugural Year of Data in the 2018-2019 academic year. The Year of Data is a campus-wide initiative that takes place every three years.
For its first Year of Data, the CDH hosted over twenty events - invited speakers, symposia, workshops, discussions - to encourage critical thinking about how data shapes our research, teaching, and daily lives. Together we addressed questions such as:
- How do we conceive of the human record as data?
- What analytical, methodological, and technological practices do we bring to bear on questions of data in the humanities?
- How can humanistic approaches transform data science?
Our 2018-19 programming kicked off with our Open House on September 24. The keynote address was delivered by Dr. Safiya Noble, author of Algorithms of Oppression: How Search Engines Reinforce Racism, on December 6. See our Events page for more event details.
Year of Data events have been co-organized with over 20 different campus partners, including the Princeton University Library, the McGraw Center for Teaching and Learning, the Graduate School, the Departments of Computer Science, History, English, and Comparative Literature, the East Asian Studies Program, Research Computing, the Center for Statistics and Machine Learning, the Council on Science and Technology, Career Services, and the Office of the General Council.
Sponsors for the 2018-19 Year of Data included:
- Princeton University Library
- Humanities Council
- Department of African-American Studies
- Program in Latin American Studies
- Pace Center for Civic Engagement
- Council on Science and Technology
- University Center for Human Values
- Center for Information and Technology Policy
- Department of Computer Science
- Center for Statistics and Machine Learning
- Program in Gender and Sexuality Studies
- Department of Sociology
- Program in American Studies
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of Comparative Literature
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Spanish and Portuguese
- Woodrow Wilson School