The Center for Digital Humanities (CDH) seeks an Assistant Director to help accelerate impactful and ethical research at the intersections of data, computation and the humanities at Princeton. As a collaborative and strategic thinker, the Assistant Director will bring expertise in digital humanities program design and administration, project management, and software development to expand current programs and launch new initiatives. The Assistant Director may serve as PI or co-PI on faculty collaborations or (with University approval) on externally-funded grants. The Assistant Director is expected to contribute to digital humanities scholarship through publications, presentations and outreach to the community. This position qualifies for 20% R&D time.
- Overseeing the CDH Grants and Fellowships Program
- Runs sponsored project intake process (CFPs, publicity, evaluation)
- Onboards grantees, provides project management and implementation guidance, tracks project progress and assesses success.
- Develops collaborative grants or programs with campus partners.
- Consults with Princeton faculty on grant applications for both internal and external funding.
- Coordinating Princeton’s Humanities Research Software Engineering (RSE) Community
- Works closely with campus partners to facilitate the successful expansion of the humanities RSE community at Princeton
- Helps determine staffing models, participates in recruitment, hiring and onboarding of humanities RSEs
- Works with faculty PIs and other stakeholders to design, scope, and staff projects
- Provides high-level project management oversight for humanities RSE projects
- Overseeing CDH Educational and Curricular Initiatives
- Helps determine priorities for CDH programs and initiatives for Princeton graduate and undergraduate students
- Overseeing CDH Postdoctoral Fellows program
- Helps recruit, hire, onboard and oversee work of postdocs based at CDH
- Collaborates with departments and other campus partners to expand DH postdoc community at Princeton
- Staff Management
- Serves as indirect supervisor for humanities RSEs campus-wide
- Supervises CDH postdoc(s)
- May supervise CDH staff working on graduate and undergrad initiatives
- Research and Development
- Maintains an active research profile, publishes and presents at academic venues, and contributes to digital humanities scholarship at Princeton and beyond.
- Advanced degree and postgraduate research experience in the humanities, social sciences, or a related discipline (MA required)
- Minimum work experience: 4-6 years in a DH, academic or research library setting
- Proven success managing or coordinating a range of digital humanities projects
- Demonstrated familiarity with emerging data-driven and computational methods for research (such as quantitative and algorithmic methods, text mining, image analysis, network analysis, dataset curation, humanities mapping, critical big data studies).
- Knowledge on current trends in software development tools, techniques, and programming languages used in humanities research.
- Demonstrated success working with diverse teams (faculty, graduate students, undergraduates, library staff, technologists, administrators) from various divisions of a university or college
- Excellent organizational skills, interpersonal skills and ability to manage multiple priorities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; able to make presentations to faculty, staff, leadership
- Experience supervising staff at various levels
- Experience working with a nationally or internationally known digital humanities center or project
- Successful grant-writing experience
Please provide a cover letter along with your application materials.
This position is based on campus and allows for flexible work arrangements in accordance with University policy.
Preliminary review for this position will begin on Monday, October 17, 2022. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
Apply for this position on the Princeton University Careers website.